I was just going through my blogroll and came upon Jason Kottke’s post entitled An Inconvenient Truth. It’s about a movie coming out about former Vice President Al Gore’s push to raise awareness about global warming. The facts–that I’m sure most of us are not aware of–are scary to say the least. If you aren’t a reader, then at least check out the trailer and then visit the movie site.
Don’t see anything? You’re using IE right? Then try viewing it at YouTube: An Inconvenient Truth.
Here are some quick facts from the site:
- The number of Category 4 and 5 hurricanes has almost doubled in the last 30 years.
- Malaria has spread to higher altitudes in places like the Colombian Andes, 7,000 feet above sea level.
- The flow of ice from glaciers in Greenland has more than doubled over the past decade.
- At least 279 species of plants and animals are already responding to global warming, moving closer to the poles.
If the warming continues, we can expect catastrophic consequences:
- Deaths from global warming will double in just 25 years–to 300,000 people a year.
- Global sea levels could rise by more than 20 feet with the loss of shelf ice in Greenland and Antarctica, devastating coastal areas worldwide.
- Heat waves will be more frequent and more intense.
- Droughts and wildfires will occur more often.
- The Arctic Ocean could be ice free in summer by 2050.
- More than a million species worldwide could be driven to extinction by 2050.
Read more from the archive.